Wednesday 4 June 2014

#

Tears of Heaven by R. A McCandless

Warning: Spoilers! (duh.)

I've really struggled with this review. Do I really say what I thought of the book? Because what if I hate it? As a blogger this is something I have dreaded happening. I didn't hate this book for starters, but it was not my favourite. And I wonder, as a reviewer, as a person, who do I want to be? Answer: I want to be honest but also fair. My opinion can mean absolutely nothing to you, because I am nobody. I am a girl on the internet who likes to talk about books. I don't harbour any secret insight or knowledge of the wriing world, I'm not a successful author who knows the secrets of good writing. All I know is what I liked and didn't like. And I hope you keep that in mind throughout reading ALL of my reviews. I appreciate your consideration with this matter.

In the past, the children of angels and humans, the Nephilim, were allowed to lead their lives as they willed. But they proved too strong, too ambitious, and too cunning for their own good. They became warlords, conquerors and emperors. They caused war and strife until the Throne stepped in and forced them to submit to Its will, or die. Unlike most of her fellows, Del, one of the first Nephilim, had no interest in conquest and domination. In the ancient past, prior to the Throne’s interdiction, she met and fell in love with Dami, a Mediterranean ship captain and trader. Together, they face down pirates and storms and try to create a future together. In the present, Del unwillingly works for the Throne, obeying the commands of the angel Ahadiel. She helps to keep the world safe from the horrors of escaped demons. At the same time, she keeps herself in the Throne’s good graces. Whenever a rogue demon breaks free from Hell, she and her partner, Marrin, another Nephilim, work together to banish it.



I really liked the concept of this book and the oscillation between past and present is a great idea. However if I had not read the blurb, I wouldn't have really got that. There are 11 Chapters and I only read just under 5 (I made a promise not to continue books I'm just not into) and that's not saying there was anything particularly wrong with this book, it just wasn't for me. Honestly I didn't much like Hush Hush or The Fallen series either so Angels and me have a shitty relationship. 

I liked Del I thought she was bad ass and cool but she lacked the vulnerability I've come to love in other badass heroines. There was no kind of setting, set up or what people looked like until a few chapters in so I found it hard to visualize. When characters were described, it made me uncomfortable. One of the first things we learn about Del is that her vagina is bald. I know sex happens and it is very prominent in a certain kind of Fantasy, I mean I've read books from the horror shelves in the library. I've read Jill Marshell and Charlaine Harris, I know in some fantasy books this happens. They just aren't my kind of books.

That's pretty much the deal with this book. It is incredibly original and Del has some very funny dialogue. But it isn't my kind of book. This is the kind of book you actively read to find out whats happening. Where as I prefer the kind of story that absorbs me and unravels without any thinking on my part.

It just wasn't for me, but then again. I'm nobody.

Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

">