Monday 23 June 2014

#

Thoughts on Delirium Pilot

Warning: Spoilers! (duh.)

You can watch the Pilot all on the up and up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB0yfeJ2SGI

I, like many readers of the Delirium series, was left feeling unsatsified after Requiem. Therefore with the announcement of a Delirium based television show we were excited initially and then disappointed when the pilot wasn't picked up. However many many months later Hulu (kinda like Netflix only it's not Netflix) have picked up the pilot and it is now available to watch on the internet.

So I watched the trailer and my expectations flew, then I watched the episode and well, my notes consisted of:

Awkward Dialogue
INSTA-LOVE!
Kiss and Declaration of Love 19 minutes in.
Anti-climactic reveal *snore*
Party raid scene was incredible.
Casting is excellent
Julian is delightful but I do not ship him and Hana. YUCK!
Blaze through a lot of info every quickly
Too contemporary, doesn't seem realistic.


I may have been a bit harsh but I studied Media so naturally, I'm aggressively judgmental. I feel like this Pilot will make zero sense if you haven't read the book. The pacing of this episode is awful, it's really awfully written. I can describe it through use of The Vampire Diaries. In the Pilot we get a hint that he is a Vampire and that they will be in love, but none of that happens until later in the series, she doesn't find out and they don't have  INSTA-LOVE just to get on with there own rewrite all in the first episode. That pilot enjoyed the journey.

This Pilot was the entire first book, leaving characters and plots underdeveloped. A 300 page book in 43:20 minutes just makes it sloppy. There is so much possibility and fun to be had with this series, she definitely shouldn't have  crossed the wall, fallen in love with Alex then watch him die all in 1 episode, that actually makes me angry because there is more to it, development, moments that you yearn for when you read the book.

If I was Lauren Oliver I would be furious. This undermined everything that happened in the book to make way for there ow storyline. I mean you want to add to it and twist it go ahead. TVD didn't exactly stick to the book narrative but it was still TVD at it's core and in fact it was better.

I JUST CANNOT EVEN PUT INTO WORDS MY FRUSTRATION RIGHT NOW! Dammit Delirium.


No comments:

Post a Comment

">