Monday 14 July 2014

#

The Reader's Affliction

Warning: You are about the enter the territory of a Word Nerd incapable of reading. Things could get dangerous!

I feel like I should be writing an ASS (After School Special) to bring up this terrible affliction. I've been struggling with this particular issue for almost a fortnight now and I am at my wits end. Ladies, Gentlemen and Gummy Bears...

I HAVE READERS BLOCK!

You can probably imagine what exactly this is, but if not, let us ask the almighty fountain of knowledge that is Urban Dictionary.

Last month I was on a roll. I had an extensive TBR and I smashed it. I was so proud and I figured my reading genius would continue through to July. I was wrong. This month I have read two books I couldn't finish (primarily because they were terrible) but now as I read Four by Veronica Roth I know this book is good and I should be able to sit down and just destroy this thing (figuratively) but I just can't focus. 

I feel broken, afflicted, suffering like I'm missing a leg or an arm. This is causing a lot of stress between me and my TBR. I look at it mocking me, I glare and I blame it for adding all this pressure to reading. I feel like a man who can't perform in the bedroom. I know I've done it before but it just isn't working. Maybe I need to relax. Take a deep breath (in & out) ahhh much better. NOT!

I will treat this issue as I would any other phobia or anxiety. 

Step 1: I will throw myself in. I will grit my teeth and make a date, refusing to leave my room until I've read a certain amount of pages and increase that everyday!

Step 2: I will build up slowly towards a book with poems and short stories. I have a book of sonnets I'd been meaning to flick through.

Step 3: Read a familiar book. I plan to take part in the Killer Read-along for Throne of Glass. I adore this book and hopefully it will relight my burning Word Nerd flame inside me. 

I can't say if I'm doing the right thing or if I'm just clawing at strings but hey! anything has to be better than not being able to read at all.

Do you have any tips for beating readers block? Share them below!
You suffering from it yourself? Lets help each other out.


2 comments:

  1. I can REALLY relate to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was painful but I finally got myself out of it with some healthy competition between friends. We had a race on who could complete certain books before a certain time. It was like my brain just clicked back into place. Thank God!

    ReplyDelete

">