Tuesday 22 July 2014

#

Percy Jackson and The Battle of The Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Warning: Spoilers (duh.)

Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse. In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth - a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn.

You guys have followed me as I started and am ultimately going to finish this series. I left Percy a few weeks ago and have basically planned to read a book per month, but I fear I shall have to destroy the next one  a lot sooner than that as this was UH-MAY-ZING! This book didn't follow the typical Percy Jackson Format, I mean it did with the myths coming to life and all that excellent stuff. But in general they got straight into the quest, the whole keeping the prophecy a secret bit was so fresh and exactly what I needed from this series.

I'm gonna jump straight into what I wanted in this book. I wanted me some series Percy/Annabeth shipping...and did it deliver? I'm not sure. I thought at first with the "date" and the jealousy about Rachel. Then as we got on about the prophecy I figured that had something to do with Percy and then when she revealed she would lose someone she loved and she didn't know if it was Luke or Percy...I literally squealed. And then Hera showed up and ruined the whole thing. Then there was the kiss before he went off and her misery at the thought of him dead. I feel like it delivered on those terms but the ending. It just depressed me. I mean I understand Annabeth has all these feelings for Luke and so she is upset about Kronos ermmmm taking over his body #AWKIES. But you could feel the distance between her and Percy, you could feel all the bonding that had happened in the book drift away and that was somewhat heartbreaking.

Although I can't help but ship a little Jackson/Dare love either. Rachel is awesome she can see through the mist and she goes into battle without all the Half Blood Magic. I just thought she was a really great character and I am so glad she came back. Will she be in the next one? I gods damn hope so! (If you'll excuse the pun).

I felt the book got a lot older and darker than it's predecessor, some of the death scenes were a lot more violent, the battle, the rise of Kronos and even Kronos in general, having him there and the way he was described and talked and with Nico's powers. It was all a little scarier than the other books had been. I am incredibly scared of Kronos and the other Titans, like just hearing about them terrifies me and having the constant threat of them amped up in this book was great. Things are really starting to happen. I mean the Kronos' Army v.s Camp Half Blood battle was incredible.

I loved Quinto, his entire story Arc was really nice, I didn't figure out the twist and the whole demonisation and then redemption of him was really lovely to read, it was a nice little bit to take away from all the suffering that had been seen in this book. Speaking of suffering, Nico is slowly becoming one of my favourite characters. His struggle with Bianca's death really takes it toll and also the segregation from the rest of Camp Half Blood really broke my heart. The fact there is no Hades cabin actually made me mad. The way he had to sit alone in a dark corner, not welcome anywhere because of who his father is. I really felt for the kid and I was so glad when he showed up at Percy's house at the end. Plus how awesome are his powers, like seriously, so cool.

The thing about these books is that there are these dark moments followed by a part that's almost mocking itself. The sacrifice of Happy Meals to raise the dead and such and yet there are also the most beautiful quotes and observations you wouldn't expect from a "childrens" book. I'm already grieving the loss of this series and I haven't even finished it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

">