Wednesday 23 July 2014

#

Book Annoyance.

Allow me to show you this picture.

Do you see it?

Do you?

You must.

Okay well, I suppose I'll just tell you then.


I have a real issue with the way publishers format series'. Bloomsbury USA posted this update yesterday that got me thinking about it.

I had been wanting to buy Hardback editions of this series but the cover did originally look like this:

and then when Crown of Midnight was released the designed changed completely so that only the Paperbacks matched. This post however showed me that publishers are aware that things like this annoy us. Heir of Fire is also going to be released in Paperback in the UK because the rest o the series is also in Paperback.

But not all publisher do that. Series tend to start of in Paperback format, then as they get more and more popular they upgrade to Hardback. And I hate it. I then have to choose between having them mismatched or waiting months for the other edition to come out.

Take the Divergent series for instance. I bought the first one in Hardback, with the silver cover. Then Insurgent came out in England, only in Paperback with a new purple design. I bought that and the first one in the new edition, assuming it would stay that way. Then Allegiant comes out  with that design but in GODDAMN HARDBACK! And the only way I can buy Allegiant in Paperback is in a full bind up of the series, but I already own the first two in that edition. Not to mention that Four came out in a tiny, odd sized hardback.

And that's another thing, sizing...

This has to be a joke right?

Why is Lola bigger than Anna? It's the same matching cover design. What made the publisher think that I wouldn't notice this inch difference (it might as well be the size of everest).

Okay fine, this shouldn't bother me as much as it does. And it didn't really, but with Bloomsbury reissuing hardback Throne of Glass' because they know fans want the matching set, I realised that publishers know this bothers us. I don't understadn why within publishing continuity isn't seen as important when it honestly drives me round the bend.

There is little that annoys me about books, but this is definitely one.



What about you? Does it annoy you? Am I crazy? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

">