Tuesday 29 July 2014

#

Percy Jackson and The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Warning: Spoilers (duh.)

MOST PEOPLE GET PRESENTS ON THEIR SIXTEENTH BIRTHDAY, I GET A PROPHECY THAT COULD SAVE OR DESTROY THE WORLD.

It happens when you're the son of Poseidon, God of the Sea. According to an ancient prophecy, I turn sixteen and the fate of the entire world is on me. But no pressure. Now Kronos, Lord of the Titans, is beginning his attack on New York City. And the dreaded monster Typhon is also heading our way. So it's me and forty of my demigod friends versus untold evil.



I couldn't stop myself from cracking on with the last book...and my Gods, was it a worthy ending. First off the entire book was basically one big battle. I find with series like this that the end battle is never as good as we hope it is. But this is the exception to the rule. The battle just got better and better. We started off with destroying the Princess Andromeda and the death of one of the campers and this really sets the tone of the book. 

This book got steadily darker throughout, we start with tragedy at the death of a camper and we see the camp still not back to normal after the previous battle. We see the struggled relationship between Annabeth and Percy which just broke my heart and yet things with Rachel appear to be...err going places. Though I never actually thought him and Rachel would end  up together. But when Percy sees Annabeth there was just this lovely moment.
Percy basically bathes in the River Styx, and has to think about something to hold onto his mortal soul. When he thought about Annabeth I was just all gooey on the inside. It was major cute-town.
But yeah away from the romance, the battle itself did feel a little long winded. The Titans did scare the be-jesus out of me. I don't know why but just the idea of them terrified me. We see many of them in the final battle and one of them even becomes like a giant tree which was totally awesome. Percy really takes a lot of responsibility during the battle. He has this "Achilles heel"part on his back which is the point of his mortality therefore not allowing his new powers to take over him. Percy literally destroys so many people, he was so cool just destroying people left right and center.


But the battle isn't really what sticks in my head about this book. What sticks is seeing how the characters I have known have developed throughout the series. Tyson became a warrior, Grover became the new Pan and Annabeth and Percy finally got together. Not to mention  Rachel literally becoming The Oracle. So much had happened and changed and at the time I hadn't even noticed. 


I don't think there is much I can say to turn you to this series or to even sum up what is it and what happened. But it's a classic that is no doubt. I think you should read it. There is this indescribable pull that lures you in and makes you adore these characters. It is something else entirely that you want to be a part of. 

Read it.
Enjoy.
Get back to me!

God what a journey this series has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

">