Monday 7 July 2014

#

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


I had picked this book up several times attempting to read it since its publication. I then decided I never would and got rid of the book, only to buy it again a few months later. Now having read as far as humanly possible, I have to say it. So much potential just lost and scattered to the wind.

Don't get wrong, the first 200 pages I flew through. I couldn't figure out how I'd been missing this book for so long. Eva and Addie were such an antithesis and there development was great to read. I adored the slight love story and Hally! My god Hally, Her and Lissa were just the coolest, the way the switched back and forth and gathered people to rebel and change the world quietly. I was loving it. I was pumped! 

Then they get taken to well, wherever the hell they were taken and I stuck it out as long as possible. It just got monotonous,  Nothing was happening, and if it was happening it was so unrealistic I just fond myself scoffing and muttering 'pfft sure' under my breath. 


The part that finally made me shut the book and never turn back, was the phone call to her Father. It made me mad. He promises not to let her stay there and that he'd come with her, I liked the idea he would try but something terrible would happen but so on so forth. But instead they use Eva and Addie's life as leverage to get there son a kidney. I'm sorry, even if he is ill, no decent parent (as we are led to believe they are) would let one child die to improve the life of another. Her brother isn't dying this isn't like a 'he needs this now or he will die' situation. This is a ''dialysis is really not ideal' situation and it was so ridiculous and made me so mad, I threw the book across the room. 


I don't care what happens. 

I literally just don't care and I should not feel that way about reading a book. I want to follow the charaetrs to the end, even if it isn't well written. There has to be something dragging me in, but there wasn't.

Such a shame because the premise really excited me and the first 200 pages were promising. This book was such a disappointment. Two stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment

">