Monday 2 June 2014

#

The One by Kiera Cass

Warning: Spoilers! (duh.)

The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of IllƩa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

 This is the third and final book in The Selection series by Kiera Cass. Previously America Singer (The most annoying, bad decision, anti-feminist  protagonist of all time) was dating Aspen, got into The selection (basically The Bachelor but she can marry the prince at the end) She promptly falls for Prince Maxon (who's an ass) then they fall in love and out of love and in love and Aspen shows up and it should all be very exciting...but it isn't.

Admittedly I loved the first book, America was so different from all the other girls, she was a tomboy and did what she liked but that suddenly became annoying as she starting pining over Maxon and being completely unreasonable. In the second book, they literally agree to announce their engagement, then they have a slight fight so Maxon runs off and macks on Celeste. Then says it's her fault for being mean to him. Seems like the definite person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Fucking idiot. 

Okay, so onto The One. Maxon and America are something, I don't really remember but we start and she tries to seduce him which is honestly the funniest sequence I've ever read in my life. When she talks about going to war and then he just laughs at her trying to be sexy #awkies. Then we have many many pages of her and Maxon arguing. I blocked most of that out.


 We have this beautiful kissing in the rain scene when she finally realises that despite everything, she loves him and it was lovely and I just wanted her to tell him. Maxon had previously said that if she tells him she loves then that's it, they would be together. But America is a procrastinator so she's all "nah I'll tell him later" (I'm paraphrasing) which adds to why she infuriates me.

We have the redemption of Celeste in this book and I loved Celeste anyway. I thought she was so cool and badass and an absolute bitch - but in a very entertaining way. So we have her redemption and now she's fierce and strong and friendly (basically Beyonce') and then she dies! SHE FUCKING DIES! LIKE WHYYY! And so does The Queen! I mean my two most beloved characters and she just kills them off and then skips time so we don't have to deal with their deaths. They are now on my list of fictional characters it wasn't okay to kill, Right underneath Tris and Dobby and Finnick.


America goes through more terrible decisions gets shot and her and Maxon fall out so much. I should go into detail but it is honestly so dull, you wouldn't care anyway. But literally at one point, America has her hand on Aspen's chest and Maxon calls of the wedding. 'THAT'S IT! I'M MARRYING KRISS! FUCK YOU BITCH!' (Still paraphrasing) and then he gets shot and realises he, just like America is an idiot. They honestly deserve each other.

The problem with this series, is that even all of this infuriates me. I enjoyed reading it, it was really quick and I felt satisfied and like I'd had a good read afterwards. The point of a book is escapism and it definitely succeeds. I would say it was a terrible book and I hated it, but I loved it aswell. I have a Maxon/America relationship with this series. I love it but I don't want to because it's so stupid. 

That collage scene was super cute as well! And her dad's death! DEM FEELS!

I can't even fully describe this book, I would recommend because you will enjoy it, it will also drive you insane.

2 comments:

  1. Violet Crawley <3 Maggie Smith just has the most hilarious facial expressions.
    I totally get what you mean. I’ve only listened to the audiobook of The Selection, and I was like mentally complaining about it aaall the time, but then again, it was also quite fun to “read”. But still, I don’t think I have the physical strength to get through the follow-ups. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like I won't ever read them again. Or atleast I'll have to get amnesia. But I did strangely enjoy reading them. I hope it's not out of just enjoying mocking it but even when I was reading stupid bits, I was having fun. It's the weirdest series :P

      Delete

">