Monday 9 June 2014

#

The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

Warning: Spoilers (duh.)
also maybe bad language. I haven't decided yet.

SUTTER KEELY. HE’S the guy you want at your party. He’ll get everyone dancing. He’ ll get everyone in your parents’ pool. Okay, so he’s not exactly a shining academic star. He has no plans for college and will probably end up folding men’s shirts for a living. But there are plenty of ladies in town, and with the help of Dean Martin and Seagram’s V.O., life’s pretty fabuloso, actually.

Until the morning he wakes up on a random front lawn, and he meets Aimee. Aimee’s clueless. Aimee is a social disaster. Aimee needs help, and it’s up to the Sutterman to show Aimee a splendiferous time and then let her go forth and prosper. But Aimee’s not like other girls, and before long he’s in way over his head. For the first time in his life, he has the power to make a difference in someone else’s life—or ruin it forever.

Image from The Duck and The Owl

Okay so I initially gave this book 3 stars. It is beautifully written and has some of the most beautiful quotes I have ever read but I was so furious with the main theme/plot. I was so incredibly angry at it and I will tell you why.

Sutter Keely is a c**t.

There I said it. I understand Tharp was trying to a Catcher in the Rye type thing, where a guy who seems like a tool is really decent and kindhearted. But in fact he is just a tool. I feel like the entire book is trying to defend the fact that he dates and has sex with a girl he has no "interest in" I kept hoping he'd realise had feelings for her but that never actually happened. Not only that but she was sexually assaulted as a child as well. She was literally taken advantage of and then Sutter comes along pretending to be all self righteous, saying how ugly she is and then banging her under the excuse of 'It will help her stand up for herself.' This part of the narrative made my blood boil. I was on with Amy, I felt for her I understood her and all I could think about was how she would feel if she ever found out everything he said to her was a lie.

Of course we can argue that Sutter did care about her and only denied it to himself, that it's from his point of view so unreliable as to what he was actually feeling. But I don't think he did, I think he enjoyed having someone think he was something, someone who adored him and could be shaped after him. I was happy Aimee got herself out of the town but Sutter made me so angry. I hate him. I honestly hate him because he represents such a shitty type of person. I was kind of hoping Aimee would find out about his intentions and then blow her top and gain a backbone that way. But alas no.

And then with the horrendously open ended conclusion that's not really a conclusion, I was just annoyed by this book. I was so excited and it seemed very promising but Sutter is just ahhhh, and their is no development for him, he doesn't become a better person, everyone else in the book does but not him.

F**K SUTTER. AIMEE WAS TOO GOOD FOR HIM ANYWAY!

This makes it sound like I hated this book, but I am so angry beause I am so aggressively invested in te story and the characeters. I had faith in Sutter, that he would love her or at least admit what he did or learnt from it but he let me down.

 MOVIE COMPARISON TIME

This was the film that made me fall in love with Shailene Woodley, after this I had no doubt she could pull of Hazel Grace Lancaster. The adaptation was so close to the book it was amazing, Sutter was less of an ass though. He was much more emotional an troubled and in the end of the film, he goes to find Aimee because he is in love with her in this film. It was the ending everyone wanted and it was beautiful. He was still an ass, like the prom scene where he ditched her for Cassidy but he had an actual character development arc and it was exactly what the book needed for me.

What about you, did you like Sutter?
  
“Nothing lasts," she says, and there's a little crack in her voice. "You think it's going to. You think, 'Here's something I can hold on to,' but it always slips away.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

">