Saturday 7 June 2014

#

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han.

Warning: Spoilers (duh.)

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along

Image from Yako Books

The Summer I Turned Pretty was recommended by a friend. I didn't hold out much hope as it seemed initially like a "fluff" book. And it was, it totally was, but I loved it. It was cute and really solidifed those feelings as a teenage girl and that moment, just before someone is about to kiss you. It was well written but the characters could be very annoying. Belly (stupid name) is very spoilt and self centered and she was a bit bratty. She was also insightful, delightful and fun. Conrad was to be honest sexy but an asshole. He was such a dick to Belly at the party and super aggressive. He was the older brother and he acted like a selfish brat so him and Belly deserve each other. Jeremiah was adorable and just so fun to read.


I actually really enjoyed this book and I didn't expect to. The only thing was, I feel like I was mis-sold this book. It's sold as a love triangle between two brothers, and maybe as the series progresses it will be, but currently it isn't. Currently it's Belly dating a guy called Cameron, kissing Conrad once and having a somewhat awkward moment with Jeremiah. The romance really wasn't there at all. I mean Cameron was sweet enough but he made no impression. This book really should have been the first half of 1 book not the first in a series. I will continue with it and find out what happens but yeah, it's a tad annoying.


The cancer story line was really what hit me most. I adored Susannah, she was awesome and fun and I actually cried when we learned she was dying. I've read an excerpt of the second book so I know she survives until next summer but I really loved her and I feel like I know her and that is incredibly sad. I hate Taylor, she drives me insane and yet I think character-wise that's probably who I'd most be like. Loud and annoying! The girl needed a slap (does that mean I do?) 


Overall it was a good, fun, summer read. It wasn't too taxing but it was emotional enough to hook me in and keep me reading. I gave it 4 stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment

">