Sunday 18 May 2014

#

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Warning: Spoilers (duh)

 We are the Liars.

We are beautiful, privileged and live a life of carefree luxury.

We are cracked and broken.

A story of love and romance.

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?


 I literally just finished this book and was going to do this review tomorrow but my oh my, I could not wait.  I cannot express the need for you to know nothing about this book. If you haven't read it, go away, read it and come back and we can talk about it. If you spoil the ending for yourself it will not be the same.

THERE ARE SPOILERS! DON'T RUIN IT FOR YOURSELF!

Okay now we have that out of the way. OH MY GOD! That ending right. I got a feeling a few chapters before because it was getting pretty morbid and I just got that feeling I tend to get before people die in books.

Quick review: after TFIOS this may be my favourite book ever. I devoured it. I just couldn't put it down. I even met one of my best friends new boyfriend and had the book under my nose. I was just carrying it around for 2 days in case I got a chance to read it. As you can tell, I am pretty character based when I read a book. I like narrative and style but generally I am characters driven. That's what pushes a book over the top from good to great for me. And my god was this book great.

Cady is delightful. She is so real and flawed and I am just pulled into her voice. She's privileged and quite frank a little selfish. The journey of the novel is basically based around an accident she had 2 years prior. She remembers nothing from that summer 'Summer Fifteen' and has suffered from terrible migraines and pain ever since. Her journey to discover what happened and why her friends 'The Liars' ignored her ever since is tragic and beautiful. Gat and Cady have a very complex and not remotely typical love story going on. Each member of The Liars was enchanting and heart-wrenching. They were all so funny and bounced so well off each other. And they felt real. Like I could bump into them in the street. Much like Cady I was dying to know the truth and my mind was buzzing with theories relating to Gat's girlfriend and drowning. But I never truly saw the twist end coming. Yet it made so much sense.



My favourite part of the book by far was after she remembered. The guilt and the way she told the story of the left behind princesses was a thing of beauty. Lockhart uses  these fairytale-esque retelling throughout and they escalate and escalate until that final one. In the end I loved 'The Liars' as much as Cady did. I felt her pain, the family politics, the confusion and angst. I felt it all.

Lockhart also has this incredible way with words. She could utter beautiful paragraphs and phrases, tragically lovely metaphors that just swept me up and make me want to turn my body into a book so I can wear the words upon my skin. I cannot recommend this book more.

“Be sad, be sorry-but don't shoulder it.”
E. Lockhart, We Were Liars

No comments:

Post a Comment

">