Wednesday 17 September 2014

#

Landline by Rainbow Rowell.

Warning: Spoilers (duh.)

Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.

Maybe that was always beside the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.
That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .
Is that what she’s supposed to do?
Or would Georgie and Neal be better off ifs  their marriage never happened?


 I hated it. I absolutely hated it. I can't believe I hated a Rainbow Rowell book. I love her books, Attachments is one of my all time favourite books ever...but this book.  I hated it. 


It was monotanous and dull. It was so slow, Georgie gets up calls Neil, no answer, mopes around in her own thoughts for hours and then goes to bed. Then sometimes she'll have these awkward conversations with the kids (Whom I don't care about at all) and they are clunky and awkward and not at all nice to read. Neil basically disappears apart from his past self which leads to no explanation but does tell us exactly how the book will end...so I won't waste my time.


I have felt with Rainbows books that there is room for critique but I let it off because the story is so wonderful and it doesn't matter. But this book  honestly did not care about any of it. It was D-U-L-L. Georgie doesn't seem to have a personality, I can't tell you what she's like and the relationship with her kids and husband seems pretty non-existent even though she keeps talking about how much she loves him. And honestly I thought Neil was a bit of an Asshole. 



The whole thing where he dumped her cause she went to a "TV People Party" and he didn't know if he could put up with that forever but then said he could so proposed was ridiculous. It seemed kind of insane that he would pull this whole leaving her thing again, over the exact same reason. He knew what he was getting into. And I felt he was completely unsupportive, even in the flashbacks of anything Georgie wanted. She gets the dream she's been working towards for over 20 years and you have a bitch fit cause she'll miss one lousy Christmas? Then you go and start hanging out with your ex, grow up Neil. This entire book felt like 14 year olds dating, what they were doing was so immature. 

 I just have no energy for it. I was just screaming at Georgie and Neil throughout the entire book to stop being so ridiculous. Why doesn't he call her back? WTFH is that about? It makes no sense. The book is going for this magical realism thing and it would if characters actions matched their motivation.

I just can't even. I love Rainbow Rowell and I feel like a traitor but I honestly hated it. I was so bored and angry and I just feel exhausted from reading it. 


I'm sorry Rainbow. I still love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

">