Wednesday 24 September 2014

#

The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey.

Warning: Spoilers! (duh.)

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.



I had my reservations with the second book in The Fifth Wave series.  I started reading and I struggled to remember who was who and what exactly had happened previously, at one point I even confused Ringer and Zombie but once all that was cleared up. I think this book was stupendously better than the previous.

The multiple POV's work so much more efficiently with their separate parts rather than named chapters. I do however feel like Cassie's is the weakest plotline, she very much takes a backseat and is more the voice of reason behind everyone else. Primarily we follow Evan (who's story is delightful and fun.) and Ringer, who is now by far, my favourite character ever. 


I always thought she was badass in the first one and I aggressively ship her and Ben Parish. I think they are like perfect together, but her story was the one that pulled me in. It really says a lot about your writing talent if you can introduce a love interest in the last couple chapters, have them fall in love and then tragically kill them without it suffering the dreaded INSTA-LOVE! Cassie and Evan had always felt very insta-love to me but from the beginning, Razor is so her opposite and he s charming and relentless. It feels like it would be difficult not to have feelings for someone like that. So much time passes throughout these chapters and rather than skip to the part when you get to the emotion, you feel it change and develop and that was really beautiful. I even had to take a picture when I thought it was incredibly cute.




I mean, that is beyond adorable. Then we had the whole shocker of HE BETRAYED HER! I was physically upset on the train home. Rick Yancey is a master of breaking my heart because then he tries to convince her to flee and run, but obviously she won't until Vosch releases Teacup (After Ringer accidentally shoots her...long story.) Then when he tries to help her escape he is shot and presumable dead. Which is really annoying because Evan just won't die and we get someone we want alive and he's dead within 6 chapters.

I do also feel the need to mention the use of the phrase "The Infinite Sea" this is in no way a perfect book, Yancey reuses the same descriptions and images throughout but I don't care. I'm so connected to the character, it doesn't bother me. I will however question the big "reveal" I mean the whole idea that by simply telling people they have aliens inside them, means people will kill everyone due to some government/extraterrestrial cleanse of the world seemed a little crazy to me. 

Evan turns out not to be dead as you can see and there really doesn't happen much plot wise with him and Cassie. The minor characters definitively took the wheel this time and it was refreshing. I mean Poundcake was like the MVP of this book. His story was so heartbreaking and his bravery just really touched me and from a character who has never said a word, it was really incredible.

This is no longer Cassie's story and as much as I loved Cassie in the first one, it's nice to see her take a backseat and Yancey to explore the backgrounds of others because they were beautiful, breathtaking and incredibly touching.

Also Sams is a dick in this book.

Happy Reading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

">