Tuesday 16 September 2014

#

The Book/Boyfriend Balance.

You tend to find that when people get into relationships, friendships and family commitments start to slip or are neglected at the beginning of the relationship. Maybe this has happened to you or maybe you do it yourself. It's nothing to be ashamed of it happens, people get caught up and let things slide. Even I do it.

But I also do something worse.

Forget the neglected friendships or not seeing your family for days when staying at a significant others house. The thing I'm most ashamed of.

I neglect reading.

I've always been the kind of person who reads to escape. If I'm having hard time or am just bored with real life there is nothing better. But sometimes life is better than a book. Sometimes I am so busy having fun and laughing and being happy. I neglect my love of reading altogether. Don't get me wrong I have read since I got into this new relationship but not remotely at the rate I was prior to it.

This seems like an easy problem to solve but I am seriously having trouble trying to balance reading and relationships. It was never an issue before because I read before bed or when my friends don't want to hang out, but now I have someone who wants to be around me all the time. Someone who before I go to bed I want to talk to and engage with rather than talk to fictional people. Does this make me not a real reader? Sometimes I worry yes.

I'm trying not to be too concerned because these things take time and I've always been like this with relationships and soon enough the reading comes back. I get spare time with work and traveling to university. But currently I'm in the phase of feeling like a neglectful mother.

In any sense the only way to go is up. With my shoddy TBR! I will infact be reading Isla and The Happily Ever After by Stephanie  Perkins, Landline by Rainbow Rowell and If I Stay by Gayle Forman before I see the film.

I also aquired my Universoty reading list this month which includes:
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Gilman
The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy.

So what could I do to help with this?
Any suggestions?
I could really use the help.


No comments:

Post a Comment

">