Sunday 10 August 2014

#

It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han.

Warning: Spoilers! (duh.)

Belly thought her romance with Conrad was picture-perfect: She was all grown up and dating the boy of her dreams. But things with Conrad were never exactly as she had dreamed (obsessed) about. He keeps getting more distant and distracted, and Belly wishes she could walk away. But when Jeremiah calls her to tell her Conrad has seemingly gone missing, it takes her only seconds to start packing her things. Belly embarks on a journey to find him no matter how much what she discovers will hurt her.


 Jenny Han really hates a nice solid plot line, instead she wants to mess around with a slight story and just belly-ache (excuse the pun) to fill page space. 

First off we were never actually told Belly and Conrad we're together at the end of the first book and the books are set up so that we get an explanation as to why he suddenly treats Belly like crap out of nowhere. I mean what was the deal with prom? Are we never gonna find out why he suddenly acts like that? Is it Bipolar? Is he a douche? I need some payoff here you know. I need to understand a characters motivation and his mum has always been sick even when he was nice so you can't blame that, if so he would have been nice before and then cruddy after but in fact he is both intermittently. 

So yeah I hate Conrad.  I also hate Belly. Belly is named switched in my head to Bella (Swan) every time I read her. She tries to act all independent and I am a strong person but she is just ridiculous, how anyone can find her appealing is lost on me. It'd be like dating a nursery child, she needs reins so she doesn't run off into traffic or eat too much paste. She is naive to the point that it is unbelievable. And she is so melodramatic and I guess I'm supposed to get nostaligic and be all,


 'I was that dramatic when I was 16'

but I wasn't. I mean I was dramatic but Belly sees him having his hair stroked by some girl at his mothers funeral and she flips out. You broke up ages ago, he's allowed to take comfort and be with other people. She's clearly a lovely caring person and he feels comfortable opening up to her which he never does with you. So god knows why this book is shipping you two together. They are awful for each other.

Then we have lovely Jeremiah. He's such a cutie and sweet and just everything Conrad should be. I mean he is just charming and having already sneaked a peek at the next book I know what happens. But I love that dude. He shouldn't be with Belly though because he is too good for her.

Taylor is delightful and hilarious as usual. I find people can be hard on Taylor, including and especially Belly, but she shows she cares by changing outfits and getting you to talk to other people. It may not be what you want but that is her trying to show she cares and Belly being arsey about that kind of annoys me. She always makes out like she's better than Taylor because Taylor likes boys and shoes and parties, And what does Belly do in every book, whine about boys, go to parties and act irresponsibly. I read chapter 1 of the next book and Belly literally tallys her friends against each other like well Blah Blah is better than Blah Blah because A, B and C! I don't see the fascination with this girl. She's a nasty piece of work.

So yeah I basically hate Belly. I HATE her, I can't remember the last time I took such a disliking to a character. I just can't stand her. What about you?

Did you like Belly?  Can you shed some light on her behavior?
Do you have any characters you hate?
Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

">