Friday 2 January 2015

#

My Favourite Books of 2014.


This has been a pretty awesome year for reading, personally. In the chaotic time that was the Christmas season, I inched my way to finish my reading challenge for 2014.


There has been a bit of negativity surrounding the yearly reading challenge, and I disagree it takes the fun out of reading and personally I don't take it seriously enough to warrant it pressurising me. For me personally, it's a promise, a casual promise, that reading will be a part of my life this year, and I think that pretty damn important.

And across my many months of book appreciation, I've read some lackluster lit I tossed into the trash (figuratively) and some breathtaking books that have made it onto this. My 2014 favourites list, enjoy.

10. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

I feel as though this book should be higher in my list, but after Landline I'm still holding a grudge. 2014 wasn't the easiest year for me. After the terrible ending of a relationship that was messy and only one party was aggressively hurt (me.) I was feeling very pessimistic, very angry and maybe even a bit lost. Attachments was what made me realise I wasn't in the wrong, I wasn't being unreasonable to expect someone to love me, to expect someone to want to be around me and not act like I was a burden. I don't think without this book I would have had the courage to meet my boyfriend or meet anyone again. It should be higher in the list...but Landline though. Eff off Neil.


9. Panic by Lauren Oliver

Panic hits my top ten for a number of outstanding reasons, but primarily  because I didn't expect much from it. It's difficult for a writer to come off a series and deliver a stellar standalone, but By George! she did it. And what a hell of a standalone it was.


8.The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

In 2014 was the first year I picked up the Darkest minds series. This has been a great series and I will be reading the final book in 2015.


7. Cress by Marissa Meyer

I have fallen so hard for this series. Cress was really where I became really involved with the story on a new level. This is when the jump up and down, my god I'm so excited feeling kicked in and I cannot wait for the release of Fairest and Winter.

6. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

I began this series at the start of the year and will finish in 2015, but the first two books were so exciting and different to anything I'd read this year, it had to be in my list.


5. The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey


The Infinite Sea was so unlike it predecessor, which I loved. We waited so long for it and it did not disappoint in any way than it was over too quickly. Now all we have to do is wait approxiamtely 2.5 billion years for the next one.

4. The Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo

A darling series come and gone. I couldn't choose which one I preferred so the whole series is number 4. I am utterly devastated I got into this series later than everyone else. I just never picked it up before but it has swiftly become a classic on my shelf. I imagine many rereads in the future and my excitement for Six of Crows is through the roof.


3. The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

I utterly adore Shannon's world and am so glad this is only the first book. All my favourtie series are ending and The Mime Order comes out early 2015, warranting a new series to get excited over.


2. Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas

What? Not top of my list? Odd! I reside the beautiful and astonishing Heir of Fire to number 2 only because I only read it once this year and normally the Throne of Glass series demands more reads from me. I am aggressively excited for Maas' new series A Court of Thorns and Roses as well as TOG4!

1. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan


DUH DUH DUUHHHHHHHH! Trumpets and whatnot. I put off this series for so long, knowing it followed a young boy and assuming I wouldn't connect with it. But I am one to admit how wrong I was, I can't believe I waited so long. This series consumed me, one after the other. I can't remember the last time I picked up the first book and then read the rest of the series one after the other. It just pulled me in and with the final Heroes of Olympus book being released I can now dive into The Lost Hero without the tender pain of waiting for the next one. Dear, delightful Percy has stolen my heart this year.



Happy Reading.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing list! Most of these books I either read and loved or want to read.
    I want to read Attachments, I mostly stick to YA and NA books but I'm finally thinking about leaving my comfort zone and reading more Adult books because the ones I read were freakishly amazing. I'd heard about The Lunar Chronicles, Percy Jackson and Daughter of Smoke & Bone a long time ago but only decided to give them a chance in 2014 and I didn't regret it. I can't wait for Fairest and Winter! The ending of Cress killed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't even know Fairest was a thing until like a month ago! Here I was groaning about how far away Winter was and then BOOM! Another one!

    ReplyDelete

">