Wednesday 29 October 2014

#

Panic by Lauren Oliver

Warning: Spoilers! (Duh.) 

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.



After the Delirium series I really didn't know what to expect from this book. The blurb seemed incredibly unrealistic and I couldn't figure out how it would work, so I put off reading it. This, makes me an idiot.

This book was incredible. Heather is this wonderfully flawed and likeable character. She's smart and determined but also kind of a pushover and obsessed with some asshole who clearly doesn't care about her. But I was rooting for her. She suddenly gave a huge middle finger to the world and just fearlessly went for it. It was like no matter what was thrown at her she just did it, and that doesn't even relate simply to the game Panic.

Her relationship with her sister was beautiful, the neglectful mother and them becoming homeless was heartbreaking because it was written so realistically. It wasn't fanciful or like everyone would be able to tell because nobody guessed, most had no idea and I loved it. 

Bishop, oh Bishop. I knew immediately e was a judge, which was disappointing because I would have liked a big gasp moment, which I got, but we'll get to that. He was incredibly charming and after Heather being all with Matt I mean, I just loved him. I understood his journey. 

Dodge was a tricky one for me, there were so many things to like, his love for his sister, his love for Nat, his disposition but he was also a nutcase, he tried to kill someone and almost got Heather killed in the process, when Nat gave Heather his keys - that was my GASP moment! I was so terrified. This book had me physically reacting, it was so immersive. 

Nat however, hated her. I thought she was whiny and weak and led people on. She didn't seem to understand the idea of consequences and there isn't really any character development for her. She was this kind of steady annoyance and it wasn't going to change. 



The actual game of Panic I found very interesting, in the book it actually made sense which I didn't expect. A secret group of seniors plan it behind the back of authority. It worked, I mean I wasn't sure what to expect but it worked. 

Overall my favourite thing was the message. Messages can be preachy in books so authors have to be careful. But Lauren Oliver succeeded in creating this moment in which we know things are okay now and they won't be okay forever  but when things aren't okay, everyone will  stand together nonetheless. It was really lovely. Really nice ending, incredibly peaceful and I put down the book and felt resolved. 

Absolutely wonderful read.
Happy Reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

">