Sunday 4 October 2015

#

The Unreadables

Warning: Spoilers! (duh.)

Now, we've all been there. You start a book, sometimes by an author you know and love...then it sucks. As a determined reader I try, honestly I try but sometimes whatever is wrong with the book gets in the way. Therefore in order to relieve myself of guilt for denying these books a review, here are a few of the books I was unable to finish and a few reasons why.

The Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver




This book gives me a lot of sadness. I have loved every book Lauren Oliver has written but this book was just not up to scratch. Even the blurb seemed right up my street - a little mystery, sisterly relationships and a terrible trauma. Oooh the tension. It could have been something amazing, but if it was, I never got to it.

I had to give up at a hundred pages. The tension that was promised was not delivered and  the pacing was so slow I knew it was ending toward a big finish, but as they say it isn't the ending that matters, its the journey -though an ending does help. So if you like a slow build to a shocking end, I'm sure you'll love this book but for me, Panic was such an outstanding novel that Vanishing Girls was a lot slower and less touching and therefore disappointing.

The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbourgh

That title, it's beautiful, no wonder I bought this right? Even the synopsis Love and Death placing bets on two humans. Will they die or will they choose love. Oh it's exciting! Or I thought it would be. Love and Death essentially choose two humans of whom, if they fall in love it could cause disaster. They make them, soulmates shall we say. Flora and Henry are on either side of racial segregation. This gave me chills, oooh period drama, oohh forbidden love. But then Martha Brockenbourgh obviously felt very uncomfortable with her subject matter. Racist's were very polite and none of them even got near to using the dreaded N word. For a world that is so disgusted by dark skin at this time, a fact the author feels the need to emphasize. There is also the fact, the author refuses to tell the audience that Flora is coloured - we'll just have her play  jazz music and have people look at her a bit funny, that should do it.


As a writer, I honestly believe that if you are trying to comment on society, a time that was wrong, political statement etc. You have to go for it. Don't be afraid to offend people because you will. The readers knows that anything you write isn't necessarily how you feel. You are not your characters and that was the reason, I could not continue with this book.

Take back the Skies by Lucy Saxon



Lucy Saxon, cool cosplayer, a friend with someone I know. How I wish I'd loved this, but I didn't. I was thinking this would be Arya goes off alone in Game of Thrones but this book was very young. It seemed like it was for a much younger audience than it was advertised for. The main character is about fourteen which is immediately a dead giveaway. There are many reasons to stop a book, but at one point when you realise a series isn't for you. I think it's brave to put it down and move onto different things.


This book is also one of those series in which each book follows a different character and I really didn't want to invest in a character and then lose them. I just can't set myself up for that kind of hurt (wipes eyes away dramatically).

So there are a few of the books I have been unable to finish. I have a whole bookshelf on Goodreads dedicated to them, so if that sounds interesting you can find that here. 

If not I would love to hear about books you've read and forced to put down. It would surely help with my own book guilt. And don't be afraid to put down your books, there's always more round the corner and it won't be going anywhere.

Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

">